A simple lactation cookie recipe and method to help boost your milk supply.
Milk supply and knowing how much of it we are providing our little ones can be a little stressful. Unfortunately stress is also a key factor for reducing milk production. Sometimes we need a little boost & there are lots of delicious ways to do so!
Feeding regularly is the one factor you can control that helps regulate and increase breast milk production & is the most important tool you have. With whichever other methods you choose, regular feeding must be the foundation as milk is produced on supply & demand.
Before we start - let’s look at the 3 key ingredients that are known to help boost milk supply
Flaxseed has phytoestrogens that can influence breast milk production. Flaxseed also contains essential fatty acids which is crucial for augmenting breast milk supply.
Thos amazing ingredients may also give you more energy, have a positive effect on your mood, and help get rid of the baby blues
Brewers yeast is considered a galactagogue. A galactagogue is anything that promotes breast milk production.
Brewer’s yeast for milk supply is considered as a ‘Super Food’ due to its highly digestible protein level, minerals, vitamin B, key amino acids and chromium which supports healthy milk supply for breastfeeding mothers. Brewer’s Yeast to increase milk supply is taken regularly by many mothers, and as a bonus - it also has an amazing power of increasing the energy levels and elevating mood.
Oats are also one of the most popular foods that breastfeeding mummas consume to increase milk supply & and support lactation.
- Beta-glucan is a type of fiber that's thought to raise the levels of the breastfeeding hormone prolactin. Prolactin levels can have a positive effect on breast milk production.
- Oats contain proteins, vitamins, and minerals. They are high in iron, zinc, manganese, and calcium. They are an excellent source of soluble fiber. Plus, they contain B vitamins to help increase energy, elevate mood and fight off exhaustion, anxiety, stress, and depression.
- Plant estrogens are present in oats: Foods that contain plant estrogens are associated with the stimulation of the milk glands and greater production of breast milk.
Not only are these cookies delicious, they are full of great ingredients to help support lactation & your mood (helloooo win/win). Make these from scratch or do a quick cheat method by simply adding the 3 key ingredients to a pre-made cookie mix!
- Self raising whole meal flour - 1 cup
- Butter or virgin coconut oil - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
- Flaxseed meal - 2 tablespoons
- Egg - 1
- Water - 2-3 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract (optional) - 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon (optional) - 1 teaspoon
- Brewers yeast - 1-2 tablespoons
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Organic steel cut oats (or rolled oats) - 1 & 1/2 cups
- Optional - 1/2 cup of your fave choc chips
- Preheat oven to 140-160 degrees (depending on your oven)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Then add the egg & vanilla & mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine the flaxeed & water. Let them sit for a few minutes before adding them to the mix
- Add the dry ingredients (apart from the oats and your optional choc-chips) and mix well again
- Stir in the oats & your (optional) choc-chips
- Using a large spoon, scoop the mixture into your hand and roll it into a ball
- Place the biscuit balls onto a lightly greased or lined baking tray. Flatten them a little with your fingers or spatula.
- If you prefer a soft centre - don't squash them down too much 🙈
- Bake cookies for around 10-12 minutes - depending on how soft or crunchy you like your cookies